Raha Cycling
please enter your login and password

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Raha Cycling
please enter your login and password
Raha Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Saturday Ride Timings - Spring 2015
Flying Bikes EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 4:42 pm by btberg

» Riding in Abu Dhabi
Flying Bikes EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 pm by Graham23

» Group Riding Tips - All Riders Must Read This Before Participating
Flying Bikes EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:36 pm by Admin

» Fitness Requirements for Riding with the Raha Group
Flying Bikes EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 4:02 pm by Admin

» Details for all rides can be found on our Facebook Page
Flying Bikes EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm by Admin

» Ride Captains Required
Flying Bikes EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 2:37 pm by kevd

» Scott CR1 Pro for sale
Flying Bikes EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 6:35 pm by chrish

» Turbo Trainer
Flying Bikes EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 pm by buckleyp7

» Bike Box required - 24-26 July
Flying Bikes EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 7:30 pm by adcooke

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Flying Bikes

2 posters

Go down

Flying Bikes Empty Flying Bikes

Post  Spindoctor Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:50 am

Nothing to do with speed this thread, if I want my bike to be flying I'll need to lend it to someone better then me ....

No, this is cycling logistics, as I am aware the summer break is coming up and some of you may be planning your European tours, or an acquisition trail, and as a cycling nomad I have acquired plentiful experience of flying bikes with various airlines. Sharing some of this with you may help you both in the selection of a bike bag or box, and in the preparation and packing, so you have your pride and joy undamaged and ride-able at the other end.

This year alone, my bikes have been in UK, UAE, Oman, and France. On vans, in cars, on trains and planes, including the spectrum from Etihad to (Oh My God) Easyjet! So I have either been lucky or been doing the right thing. So here’s a guide:

Boxes

A huge range and some may say a cardboard box and loads of packing. Well good luck, but I never would, and what about the return journey? Hard cases are great, they offer reassurance to you, and a real challenge to the luggage handlers, I have had one, I it is comforting to have your bike in a hard case, but they do tend to use up 75% of the baggage allowance, and are bulky things which don’t always fit in a boot unless you have a 4x4 or Yank Tank.

Tips:
Get one with wheels, and a pull handle and they are great around concourses
Your bikes outer shell is pretty robust, but they will trash a car’s interior.
They do tend to be a bit wobbly when open because of the large clam shape, so an outer strap and locking side catches are essential.
Consider the size – they are fine for regular bikes, but XL frames can be a challenge, and in my case an ISP (Integrated seat post) rules them out. For value try the Big Bike Box Company http://www.thebikeboxcompany.co.uk/, or the very top of the range BoxAlan, which was the only ISP sized hard case I could find http://bikeboxalan.co.uk/
Flying Bikes Sb1p4z

Bags

Almost as wide a choice and budget range here as with boxes. The big advantage is weight, and their car friendliness. If you have a regular frame, and don’t fly too often, or with dubious airlines this is a real option. They don’t protect from crushing or spike damage, and can easily be opening up by a thief – but if you’re going to steal a bike in transit, steal the whole bag, it’s less obvious.

Tips:
For a lightweight all-rounder look no further than Chain Reaction’s own brand: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15325 – it has good capacity and shoulder straps which mean you can wear it like rucksack if larger spaces, leaving your with 2 hands free.
Flying Bikes 2upsdua
Pockets are great – for pedals, skewers, and the essential hex key set
Pick a bag that makes specific provision for wheels and their side impact protection – separate wheel bags alone don’t do this.
Watch how the bike mounts in the bag – especially if the chain ring teeth or rear mechanism are prone to impact damage
Consider the frequency of flying – I fly a lot, and have this tall frame issue, so stumped up the extra cash for the EVOC http://www.evocsports.com/en/evoc-bike/bike-travelbag.html - and all in all think my bike is as well protected in this as it was in box
Flying Bikes 2ezhda8

And finally....
There is the money no object Bikind http://www.biknd.com/index_en.html, impressive but very expensive, and in actual fact all the cushions generalise pressure, when wads of bubble wrap squeezed around the frame can be just as effective. But you have to have the bike to go in it, which justifies the £425!
Flying Bikes 2z70wfs
Other things to consider:
See the other thread on bike packing & CO2 gas cylinders on planes – always a difficult one!
Spindoctor
Spindoctor

Back to top Go down

Flying Bikes Empty Re: Flying Bikes

Post  MNSlingerland Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 pm

MNSlingerland
MNSlingerland

Back to top Go down