Raha Cycling
please enter your login and password

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Raha Cycling
please enter your login and password
Raha Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Saturday Ride Timings - Spring 2015
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 4:42 pm by btberg

» Riding in Abu Dhabi
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 pm by Graham23

» Group Riding Tips - All Riders Must Read This Before Participating
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:36 pm by Admin

» Fitness Requirements for Riding with the Raha Group
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 4:02 pm by Admin

» Details for all rides can be found on our Facebook Page
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm by Admin

» Ride Captains Required
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 2:37 pm by kevd

» Scott CR1 Pro for sale
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 6:35 pm by chrish

» Turbo Trainer
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 pm by buckleyp7

» Bike Box required - 24-26 July
Riding in Abu Dhabi EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 7:30 pm by adcooke

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Riding in Abu Dhabi

4 posters

Go down

Riding in Abu Dhabi Empty Riding in Abu Dhabi

Post  pippyt Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 am

Hi all,

I will be flying over in March for the Abu Dhabi tri and have been trying to find the safest bike route out from the Formal Park area out towards AD airport. Didnt like the idea of riding on dual carriage ways even during early morning rides so thought you guys would be able to help.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

pippyt

Back to top Go down

Riding in Abu Dhabi Empty Re: Riding in Abu Dhabi

Post  JohnM Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Phil.

Not sure where the formal park area is,  Cycling in Abu Dhabi or anywhere else in the UAE is difficult to achieve without going onto main highways or roads at some stages. Unless your on either a Cycle track, in Dubai Nad al Sheba or Al Oudra, or Abu Dhabi Al Wathba.

We ride off the main island and out to either Al Wathba cycle track or out towards Al Taweelah power station both these rides involve riding on roads mostly lesser congested ones.  We now normally always have a Safety vehicle behind whenever possible.

If you want total safety no traffic, I suggest you go to Al Wathba Cycle Track, its a 16k figure of eight flat loop , you can get directions from Google or follow road out of Abu Dhabi towards Al Ain until junction 47 then follow the signs to Emirates Endurance Village.  There are also links on Raha Cycling Facebook page and Abu Dhabi Tri Club.

Good luck on the Tri, Safe riding and enjoy our wonderful City.

Last edited by JohnM on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnM
JohnM

Back to top Go down

Post  pippyt Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Thanks for the reply John.

The area is actually called Al Zahiyah so as long as I know its ok to ride on the highways I should be fine. Looking to be up and out early to beat the heat and the traffic!

I have found a couple of routes saved on garmin that I will try. Does anyone have any recommendations for routes?

Thanks again.

pippyt

Back to top Go down

Post  kevd Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi Phil,
You are staying in what used to be called the Tourist Club area - you can't get more 'down town' than that. Sorry, but I would not recommend cycling there at all - it is not safe. The Corniche - not too far way - has a cycle track but it is not suitable for training at all - too many people/kids etc.
Our group is mostly based just 'off island' giving us access to much safer riding in places such as Yas Island. If you have a hire car, I really recommend getting into it and driving down here and riding.
Alternatively, there are some riders based up in town and they ride from 'The Club' over the Sheikh Khalifa Bridge and down the Sadiyaat Highway and back - this is part of the route you will do on the Abu Dhabi Tri. This will also be much safer than riding downtown itself - although it is on the highway and the hard shoulder collects a lot of 'crap', so take a couple of tubes!
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Kev
kevd
kevd

Back to top Go down

Post  pippyt Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks Kev, the Sheikh Khalifa Bridge route looks a lot more like it, then I can get up to Yas Island and out towards the airport. May have to invest in some Gatorskins for the training rides out there or become proficient in changing tyres!

Hopefully will see some of you guys out riding whilst in town.

Thanks again.

pippyt

Back to top Go down

Post  Graham23 Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:17 pm

I've just arrived here with my bike I'm staying In the centro capital hotel need to get out and ride. But firstly I nee a new skewer for wheel which got bent in transit where's the nearest repair shop? Where do club rides start and finish?

Graham23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down